A couple weeks ago Jai & I cooked salmon tikka with cucumber yogurt from Jamie's Ministry of Food cook book.
We rarely eat fish so it was great to have some for a change and has encouraged us to try more recipes using fish.
This is what Jamie says about the recipe "I love this dish. If you’re a fan of chicken tikka masala, give this one a go. You might think it odd to use robust spice pastes on fish, but it’s very common in southern India. When buying your fish, ask the fishmonger to scale it for you. You’ll be amazed at how quickly these cook."
I'll put the recipe below :)
- 2 naan breads
- 1 fresh red chilli (we used dry chilli flakes)
- ½ a cucumber
- 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons natural yogurt
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- A few sprigs of fresh coriander
- 2 x 200g salmon fillets, skin on
- 1 heaped tablespoon Patak's tandoori curry paste
- Olive oil
1. Preheat your oven to 110°C.
2. Pop your naan breads into the oven to warm through.
3. Halve, deseed and finely chop your chilli.
4. Peel and halve your cucumber lengthways, then use a spoon to scoop out and discard the seeds.
5. Roughly chop the cucumber and put most of it into a bowl.
6. Halve your lemon and squeeze the juice from one half into the bowl.
7. Add the yoghurt, a pinch of salt and pepper and half the chopped chilli.
8. Pick the coriander leaves and put to one side.
9. Slice each salmon fillet across lengthways into three 1.5cm wide slices and use a pastry brush or the back of a spoon to smear the tandoori paste all over each piece.
10. Heat a large frying pan over a high heat.
11. Once hot, add a lug of olive oil, put the salmon into the pan and cook for about 1½ minutes on each side, until cooked through.
How to serve 1. Place a warmed naan bread on each plate.
2. Top each one with a good dollop of cucumber yoghurt and 3 pieces of salmon.
3. Scatter over a little of the reserved cucumber, chilli and coriander leaves and finish with a squeeze of lemon juice.
Preparing the salad to go on the naan. We wanted more of a salad than just cucumber so we had some lettuce too.
Jai putting the cucumber salad on his naan.
I've picked up a thing or two from watching Jamie's shows. I usually don't like cucumber, but I find that when I peel the cucumber into thin strips (like in the photo) I really love having it in my salads.
We scraped the plates clean!